Monday 18 March 2013

Client Side Coding - Be Careful

This post is inspired by reading a really interesting article posted on Code Project. We (I mean developers) in general, get excited really quickly about any fresh new idea, I'll tell you why in a moment.

When I take a look at the web applications I built during the course of my career, I see myself building web applications that relied heavily on server trips (postbacks), as this is what the technology provided at that time. I don't recall writing any client side code to interact with the server. My client code was all about input validations. 

With the introduction of AJAX and ASP.NET 2.0, I was really impressed by the idea of partial postbacks, and started planting update panels all over applications. The idea of not having postbacks was really great, and being able to have no page flickering was huge. But I was hit by the performance of my applications. The viewstate of my web applications was so huge it affected the overall performance of the applications. My applications performed like turtles when it comes to speed.

I had to find a robust solution, that's when I was introduced to JQuery and started using JQuery posts. To be honest, JQuery posts are really great when it comes to performance, but they required the developer to have a good knowledge in JavaScript and JQuery, and of-course more code should be written. 

If you are a developer who used or currently using posts in building your web applications, or you are someone who are planning to, believe me, it won't hurt you if you stop for five minutes and read this great article.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Well, lately I began to question some points concerning the latest approach you mention; some of which have been tackled in the article. Issues like the application's robustness, reliability, even maintainability when relying solely on JQuery posts.
    Performance aside, I tend to think that an application built entirely with JavaScript and JQuery is less reliable and more error-prone and vulnerable to attacks. I of course don't know if this is true; but can you elaborate more on this? I mean the dark side of it/the cons if any?

    ReplyDelete